Having Everyone Access Recreation Today!
Free and low cost recreation opportunities are available for Port Alberni residents on limited income with our HEART subsidy program.
The HEART subsidy offers substantial discounts on most recreation programs and memberships for members. No more cardboard coupons!
Each member receives:
- 75% off subsidized programs and memberships up to $225 each year;
- 52 drop-in visits to swimming or skating;
- Children under 14 will receive unlimited free admission to public rollerblading sessions at Glenwood Centre.
all loaded onto your Client membership card!
Click here to download the pamphlet or pick one up when you pick up your application form! (updated Apr 2022)
Click here to download the application form. You can also pick up an application form at your local Ministry office, Echo Aquatic and Fitness Centre, Echo Centre or the Multiplex. Fill out the application form and return it to the Echo Aquatic and Fitness Centre. (updated Apr 2022)
Do I qualify?
The following gross incomes are a guide for those who may be eligible for HEART under option 3.
|Family Size||Gross Annual*||Gross Monthly|
|Further increments of $7,120 per additional family member.|
|* Income thresholds from 2021 Statistics Canada Low Income Cut Off rates (before tax).|
Total family income, including that of the supporting individual will be considered for those living independently (post-secondary students for example).
In order to qualify for the HEART subsidy, applicants must meet ONE of the 3 listed options below:
- REFFERAL If applicable, please obtain a verification stamp from the Ministry of Social Development & Poverty Reduction (or similar government agency) office. The staff of the recognized agency have identified themselves, certified that you meet the limited income criteria and have stamped and signed the original form. Photocopied forms/stamps will not be accepted. Bring your completed form to the Echo Aquatic and Fitness Centre. This form will expire 30 days from date signed.
- PROOF OF FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE If you receive one of the following:
- BC Senior’s Supplement – please show proof of acceptance.
- BC Income & Disability Assistance cheque stub. Must be current within 3 months.
- IF YOU DO NOT RECEIVE one of the forms of assistance and you live in the electoral areas described on the back and cannot afford to participate in the City of Port Alberni Parks, Recreation and Heritage Department programs, you may meet our definition of others in need. HEART Coordinator will need to see the completed application form along with proof of gross household income and the previous year’s income tax assessment. The gross annual or monthly incomes are a guide to who may be eligible to apply for HEART.
Who is eligible to apply?
The HEART subsidy is available to City of Port Alberni residents and those living in the following regional districts:
- Beaver Creek
- Cherry Creek
- Hupacasath First Nation
- Sproat Lake
- Tseshaht First Nation
Individuals living outside these areas are not eligible e.g. First Nations Reserves (other than Tseshaht and Hupacasath) and Beaufort District areas are currently not eligible for HEART.
How Do I Apply for the HEART Subsidy?
- Pick up a HEART application at your local Ministry office, Echo Aquatic and Fitness Centre, Echo Centre or the Multiplex. Fill out the application form and return it to the Echo Aquatic and Fitness Centre.
- Along with your application form, each adult applicant must show government-issued photo ID with current address. BC Drivers License or BC ID are both acceptable.
- After proof of need is established and photos of all applicants have been taken, the HEART subsidy will be available for use within two weeks.
Lost or stolen photo membership cards must be reported to Parks, Recreation & Heritage and can be replaced at a $5 fee per card.
How do I use my new HEART subsidy when I register?
- Visit portalberni.perfectmind.com to log into your new account.
- Select “Schedule” along the top to see what is available for you to register into.
- Select your drop in visit or program.
- Follow the instructions and any available subsidy discount will be waiting for you to use at checkout!
I’m still having troubles!
Navigating new software can be difficult. Please visit playinpa.ca/how-do-i-register. This will walk you through screenshots and instructions on how to log in and find programs and drop ins.
If you’re still experiencing difficulties, please call us at 250-723-2181 (Echo Centre) or 250-720-2514 (Pool) and we will be happy to help you.